With the start of a new year as well as a new decade, here is our list of recommended New Year’s resolutions that can help you grow professionally and personally in 2020.
- Safety Matters. Help us as we continue to work to get waste collection workers off the top ten most dangerous jobs and reduce accidents and injuries by making safety a priority. Take the SWANA Safety Pledge to show your commitment to protecting yourself and others from harm every day. Host a Hauler Safety Outreach Event to raise awareness and provide safety tips and best practices in your community – not to mention a morale boost as well. Read Safety Monday newsletters every week and check out our safety resources for more information.
- Recycle Right. Stay informed on the latest news in the recycling industry. Join us as we look to the future of recycling in our webinar, SWANA - State of Recycling 2020, on Wednesday, January 22, from 1:00-2:15 PM ET. Spread awareness and resources to teach your customers how to #RecycleRight. Take a look at our Recycling Resources for more information on the recycling industry.
- Expand Training and Education. Whether you are just starting your career in the solid waste industry or you have been involved for years, training will help you learn best practices, problem solve, and push your career further. SWANA’s Training and Certification program provides a wide variety of courses to choose from as well as numerous locations and opportunities to take the course.
- Get Involved. Push yourself to try something new this year by getting involved. Volunteering for your community, joining an organization, or taking on a new position within an organization are all great ways to do something new this year. Become or choose a mentor with our MentorMatch program to share guidance and information to help advance your careers. Getting involved is a great opportunity to meet new people and expand your resume. For more information on how to get involved in SWANA, click here.
- Grow Your Network. Attend a local or national event this year. Connect with your peers locally at a SWANA Chapter event. If you haven't attended SWANApalooza or WASTECON in awhile, you are missing out. We have added new networking and professional development features to our events as we reach new industry leaders and promote the newest technology.
No matter what makes it on to your New Year’s Resolution list, be sure to keep us updated. Let us know how we can help you achieve your goals! We’re excited to share a new year with you and hope to see you at SWANApalooza in Atlanta, GA, from March 23–26, 2020!
Sarah Beidleman, Marketing Coordinator, SWANA
Sarah is the Marketing Coordinator at SWANA. She enjoys working with SWANA members to create content for the newsletter, blog, and social media. Whether on the beach or in the mountains, Sarah spends her free time outside and traveling.